- The ensemble was founded in 2001 by Prof. René T.A. Lysloff.
- It is an accredited course in the Department of Music.
- It has consistently attracted a large number of students.
- Our instructor, Tagumpay de Leon, is a noted master musician and teacher.
Tagumpay de Leon
Known affectionately and respectfully as “Uncle Pi,” our teacher is an engineer by day and a musician 24-7! He is widely known in the Southern California traditional arts community as a master musician. He has held numerous grants and awards related to his work as a Filipino culture bearer.
- Many of the students in the ensemble are Filipino/a or Filipino/a American.
- Some have previous musical training, but many don’t.
Students in the UCR Rondalla Ensemble are involved in other campus activities such as:
- Katipunan (a Filipino American student club)
- The Philippine dance class offered through the Department of Dance
- Asian Pacific Student Programs
- The Department of Ethnic Studies
Philippine Culture Night
- Also called the “PCN,” the Philippine Culture Night is an annual highpoint.
- The UCR Rondalla Ensemble was featured in the PCN 2002…
- … and will hopefully participate for many years to come!
For more information, please contact:
Tangumpay “Pi” De Leon