- This ensemble is modeled after the “Big Bands” that became popular in the late 1930’s and early 1940’s.
- The ensemble performs 3 formal concerts each year in the University Theatre but also takes part in numerous performance venues around the campus and in the general community.
- The ensemble has toured worldwide, taking part in the Montreux Jazz Festival and many festivals in the United States.
- Participation in the group is through audition only.
- Auditions are held in the fall and at the beginning of winter and spring quarters when there is a vacancy in the ensemble. The ensemble is NOT limited to music majors.
- Members of the ensemble have extensive opportunities to perform as jazz soloists and are encouraged to develop their improvisation skills. The music is challenging and is selected from the best of modern jazz, fusion and traditional Big Band jazz repertoire.
- Contact the Director of Bands at X2-3784 for more information.
For more information, please contact:
Joshua M. Welchez
UCR Jazz Ensembles Director
Office: ARTS 163